Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Own Repeater

Alex87

Own Repeater

Post by Alex87 »

Hello,

I am new here and I have a simple Question/Problem I want to have solved:

Is it possible to use an own Repeater for Pchelpware?
Which should I take if yes?
Is it possible to use it without the need to install UltraVNC?

please help
nerim

Re: Own Repeater

Post by nerim »

why you opening 2 threads? .. i think its better to stay in english language so more people are aware to help you - many from outside germany/austria/swiss ...

Step by Step
[topic=8898][/topic]
have you read it? repeater is listed there too

webpage helps too:
http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/repeater/index.html

regards, max
< im not human, lolz >
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

I'm sorry for opening two Threads

Thx first for your answeres, but if I want to use that Repeater, what do I have to type in that space at the Viewer "Host Repeater"?
Remember: if I want to use that Programm.

I think it is not clever to type there "repeater01.ultravnc.info" if I don't want to use the public one. nerim, do you understand what I mean?

So how do I have do manage that?

please help
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

Is it possible to use an own Repeater for Pchelpware?
Yes, you can set up your own repeater. It's included in the download package in the repeater directory and you can set it up as a service using phw_repeater.exe -install. You'd then need to port forward TCP ports 5500 and 5901 to the machine running the repeater.
Which should I take if yes?
I'm not really sure what you're asking :| , but if you're asking if it's better to use a public repeater or your own, it's definitely better to use your own.
Is it possible to use it without the need to install UltraVNC?
PcHelpWare viewer, server and repeater don't rely on UltraVNC at all so there's no need to install UltraVNC to use PcHelpWare.
I'm sorry for opening two Threads
No need to apologize, but most forum visitors speak English and many of us only speak English :( .
what do I have to type in that space at the Viewer "Host Repeater"?
Replace repeater01.ultravnc.info in the [topic=9663]"Zero Configuration" PcHelpWare_viewer Setup[/topic] example with the hostname of your repeater. You'd also want to define the Listen Port Viewer as 5901 and Listen Port Server as 5500 like in the Zero Config example.
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

Ok thank you for your answeres.

One last Question: Is it enough to use only phw_repeater.exe?
If yes, which Host name does it has? Where or how can I find that?

Sorry for my stupid questions :oops:
Last edited by Alex87 on 2007-07-09 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

Could someone answer my question please?
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

Sorry for the delayed response :-] , I got distracted.

You'd need to set up the repeater as a service on a server that will be available whenever you'd need it using the command that I provided. Then you'd need to set up port forwarding of TCP ports 5500 and 5901 in your router to that machine. PortForward provides instructions for setting up many different routers. You can then use DynDSN to set up a free hostname for your dynamic IP address.

So the long answer is that the "host" you're asking about would be the hostname you set up.
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

Yes! Thank you! Thats exactly what I need :)

And sorry for my impatience :-]

I think I am like the guy here ^^ :surprise:
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

I am back again with a new Question :)

Backgound: The Repeater is now running on my Server, the Server is at my LAN behind a NAT. So he has a static IP (because of NAT), DHCP is deactivated because of other services. And the Router is set up with the TCP Ports 5901 and 5500 to the Server where the repeater is running.

When I start a Connection through the Repeater between 2 Computers in my LAN, it works well and there is no trouble.
My question is: If I want now to connect a PC (out of my NAT behind another NAT) to a PC in my LAN behind my NAT, I can't give the Server.exe the INTERN IP or Hostname of the Server with the Repeater bacause it isn't reachable from outside.
So which IP or whatever should I take as the Hostname for the server.exe which should be reachable from the PC outside the NAT behind another NAT. Would that even work? Or how do I have to manage that otherwise?

Please help me again 0:-) :roll:
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

I think I am like the guy here ^^ :surprise:
lol
So which IP or whatever should I take as the Hostname for the server.exe which should be reachable from the PC outside the NAT behind another NAT. Would that even work? Or how do I have to manage that otherwise?
You'd need to use your repeater's public IP address or hostname in the Host Repeater: section of the viewer replacing repeater01.ultravnc.info in the Zero Config example. Since most ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses, you're better off setting up a hostname with DynDNS which will track your public IP address.

Both you and your client will be able to access the repeater since you've set up port forwarding and they'll connect to each other via the ID. Both you and the client need to use the same ID.
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

So... what I now understand is... I can't use a private IP (NAT) for the Server where the repeater is on, I need to have the repeater on a public server, station, PC etc. to use it.

Am I right?

Thanks for help, I know I'm sometimes annoying :-]
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

I know I'm sometimes annoying
:P, not at all.
I can't use a private IP (NAT) for the Server where the repeater is on, I need to have the repeater on a public server, station, PC etc. to use it.
The server running the repeater can be part of a private network. It's just that you can't embed the private IP into the helpdesk.txt file (created by the PcHelpWare viewer). Instead you use your public IP address or hostname which gets your client to your router and the port forwarding will get them to your server running the repeater.

If you're running the viewer on the same LAN as the repeater and are having trouble, try setting the repeater to the private IP address of the machine running the repeater in the PcHelpWare_Viewer. Note: do this after you create the PcHelpWare_Server executable. Some routers don't like accessing another PC on the same LAN by way of the WAN :o .
Alex87

Post by Alex87 »

Ok thanks for all :-D

I hope thats all and it will run :)