Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.0.8.2 Silent/Unattended Install

crrussell3

UltraVNC 1.0.8.2 Silent/Unattended Install

Post by crrussell3 »

I am having an issue figuring out how to get the silent/unattended installation setup to deploy the newest version here on my network. We currently have a mixture of clients running version 1.0.0 to 1.0.2.

I have looked around and can't seem to find any updated information on how to create the silent/unattend for the newer version. Is there any documentation available, or can someone give me a hand?

I believe my problem is figuring out how to supply the ultravnc.ini file in the INF file. Here is a copy of what I am currently using (want to tweak it to include an encryption format, just not sure which one to use yet):

Code: Select all

[Setup]
Lang=en
Dir=C:\Program Files\UltraVNC
Group=UltraVNC
NoIcons=0
SetupType=full
Components=ultravnc_server,ultravnc_viewer
Tasks=installservice,startservice,associate,driver
AclFile=\\%logonserver%\software$\UltraVNC\UltraVNC_1.0.8.2\UltraVNC_1.0.8.2.txt
PropertiesFile=\\%logonserver%\software$\UltraVNC\UltraVNC_1.0.8.2\ultravnc.ini
Any help would be appricated!

Thanks!
B

Re: UltraVNC 1.0.8.2 Silent/Unattended Install

Post by B »

I don't know the answer to your question, but does UltraVNC really need to be installed at all? (That is, can't the directory just be copied in place?) The last I saw they were trying to deprecate all use of the registry in favor of the shipped INI files, making the whole app more portable.

Whether that's really happened or not I'm not so sure!
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

B wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, but does UltraVNC really need to be installed at all? (That is, can't the directory just be copied in place?) The last I saw they were trying to deprecate all use of the registry in favor of the shipped INI files, making the whole app more portable.

Whether that's really happened or not I'm not so sure!
I have no idea if that is the case or not. I came to my position about two months ago, so before that I had no experience with UltraVNC. One thing I know would have to still be "installed" is the service, which would require either a script or manual intervention.

My whole goal with this is to create a silent install that I can wrap into a MSI in order to push with Group Policy using Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard. Whether or not this is the best way to do it, I don't know. So if someone else has a better method, by all means share :)
B

Post by B »

You're right -- if you have any Vista or Win7 machines with UAC enabled, you'll need the service running. There's probably a good way to deploy it silently -- anybody have an idea?
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

B wrote:You're right -- if you have any Vista or Win7 machines with UAC enabled, you'll need the service running. There's probably a good way to deploy it silently -- anybody have an idea?
I can already deploy it silently using command line parameters passed to it when launching the installer, but I can't figure out how to inject the ultravnc.ini file so it is part of the install, like the old reg file used to be on the older versions.
ronday

Post by ronday »

I am sure the way your doing it is a good way to do it. This is just a simple way using a preconfigured ultravnc.ini

md c:\"program files"\ultravnc

rem just in case there is a ultravnc.ini from an older install
copy ultravnc.ini c:\"program files"\ultravnc /y

rem The install won't overwrite your ultravnc.ini that you have copied
UltraVNC_1.0.8.2_setup /verysilent /loadinf=inf /norestart
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

ronday wrote:I am sure the way your doing it is a good way to do it. This is just a simple way using a preconfigured ultravnc.ini

md c:"program files"\ultravnc

rem just in case there is a ultravnc.ini from an older install
copy ultravnc.ini c:"program files"\ultravnc /y

rem The install won't overwrite your ultravnc.ini that you have copied
UltraVNC_1.0.8.2_setup /verysilent /loadinf=inf /norestart
While that is a viable option, that means I can't do this from a GPSI and have to do it with a computer logon/startup script. That will mean it has to run everytime the system boots, which chews up processing time and delays the user logon, which I want to avoid.

I just can't believe that you can't push the ultravnc.ini with the silent install and have to do it with another script.
B

Post by B »

Couldn't you just recompile the installer?
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

B wrote:Couldn't you just recompile the installer?
Tried a few different programs to do that, AdminStudio Manager Edition, VNCed, Appdeploy Repackager, etc. Each one of them failed at something. Either they didn't install/start it as a service, so couldn't connect at all, the hook/mirror driver wouldn't go off, or it would somehow loose settings.

Granted, I am not very experienced at application repackaging, so maybe I am making some beginner mistakes with those programs, I don't know.
B

Post by B »

Huh? Why would you need any of those decompiler/repackagers?

Most of UltraVNC is open source -- if necessary you can compile everything from scratch and make your own installer, at least as far as I understand.

Perhaps you could start with something like SCPrompt or ChunkVNC?
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

B wrote:Huh? Why would you need any of those decompiler/repackagers?

Most of UltraVNC is open source -- if necessary you can compile everything from scratch and make your own installer, at least as far as I understand.

Perhaps you could start with something like SCPrompt or ChunkVNC?
Again you are talking to someone without much experience with decompiling/repackaging. Is there anyway to get ahold of an uncomplied install or whatnot of UltraVNC? So this way I can create my own installer?
B

Post by B »

Of course!

http://ultravnc.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... /UltraVNC/

or

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ultr ... p?download

Both are linked off the UltraVNC web site.

I'm sure others here can tell you exactly what you need to build it. (I've never recompiled it myself.)
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

Just wanted to post an update to say I found a way to do what I was wanting to do. I found the Offline Install post in the FAQ and downloaded the offline install package. I tweaked the iss file to include what I wanted (ultravnc.ini and registry settings for MSLogonII) and then built the installer. Then I wrapped the exe and batch call using WIWW into an MSI. Done, works like a charm.
B

Post by B »

That's great news. And thanks for posting your follow-up -- it will help other folks trying to customize their UltraVNC packages.
bridge

Post by bridge »

crrussell3,

Did you have any luck using WIWW to install the video driver automatically?
crrussell3

Post by crrussell3 »

bridge wrote:crrussell3,

Did you have any luck using WIWW to install the video driver automatically?
I had no issues at all. The WIWW is just a MSI wrapper around a call to the exe installer with install parameters (ie calling an inf that dictates what to install).

What I did was download the offline installer from this FAQ: [topic=17101][/topic]

Then I repackedage the ultravnc exe to what I wanted to include and fixed a few errors in the iss file (it is just missing files). Works like a charm.
bridge

Post by bridge »

To clarify (and please correct me if I am wrong), this does not automatically install the video driver, it merely copies the files to the C drive.

That is how I read it from this part of the instructions:
6) click the INTERNAL_UltraVnc_installer_script.iss, this open inno setup
now press compile and you get your own custom installer.
No internet access needed to load the non GPL components
Ultravnc.ini is installed with installer. The script expect the drivers.zip, he just put the driver files in the uvnc folder , manual install of drivers is needed if you want to use them.
redge

Post by redge »

it merely copies the files to the C drive.
exactly. then you need install manually the driver with run as computer administrator privilege
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer