Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Mouse Cursor Not Tracked Properly (Windows? Lenovo?)

celltech001

Mouse Cursor Not Tracked Properly (Windows? Lenovo?)

Post by celltech001 »

In UVNC version 1.2.2.4 (viewer and server), we have noticed that the mouse does not seem to get tracked properly. When trying to click on something, the mouse cursor that I see is not what location gets clicked.

So far, we have noticed this only in the following configurations:
Lenovo T580 (4k screen, but we have it set to 1920x1080 with 200% scaling in Windows)
Lenovo T580 (1920 x 1080 screen, scaling set to 125% (and 150%) in Windows)
Lenovo T480 (1920 x 1080 screen, scaling set to 100% scaling in Windows).

We have not seen this in other models of laptops / PCs (we have a few Dell laptops, a LOT of Dell desktops). Most users using 1920 x 1080 screen resolution at 100% scaling in Windows, some may have custom scaling set.

Has anyone run into issues like this? Any tips or tricks?
celltech001

Re: Mouse Cursor Not Tracked Properly (Windows? Lenovo?)

Post by celltech001 »

We found sort of a work around for this issue...

1) Connect to PC with UVNC
2) Control Panel -> Services
3) Restart the UltraVNC service

Seems to work around the issue for that session.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

It has todo with the dpi settings.
if the dpi change while vnc is running the mouse seems to use the old coordinates.

VNC is dpi aware, on our test pc we can change it on the fly and vnc follow...but on some pc's the awareness doesn't work.

Possible temp change the dpi also works as workaround.
lkroeker

Post by lkroeker »

I have a similar issue on my desktop computer.

I run two displays, a 27" 4K screen @ 125% scaling, and a 24" 1080p screen @ 100% scaling.

Whichever screen is set to primary in Windows tracks mouse movement fine, but on the other screen the cursor position is offset proportionally to the scaling value difference on the displays.

When viewing both screens (zoomed out) a larger mousing area is shown than screen area, indicating that the UVNC server seems to be incorrectly mapping the mouse area (for the second screen) and the screen area due to the windows scaling feature.

I'm unsure how to fix the issue, but I might play around a bit to see if I can find a workaround (other than setting scaling to 100% for everything).
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks for the feedback, this could be the clue to repeat it.
CPC

Post by CPC »

Hello

I am having this same/similar issue.
Currently running "UVNC 1.2.3.0 RC", but have had this issue for years. I have been working around it but its a hassle at times. Issue could be in the old ini settings I am using? Since I am going to recompile my exe for 2020 to include the newest uvnc, I thought I would revisit this issue that this and another thread mentioned but didn't show a resolution..

My customers connect to me using a reverse uvnc connection. A 32 bit single click exe script for all versions of windows XP - Win10 and 32 or 64 bit... that wraps the latest unvc into it.

1 monitor... not and issue
2 monitors... with the same scaling.. not an issue.

2 monitors...the primary at one scale and the secondary at another scale. My mouse is only accurate on the primary monitor. Example... primary is set to 100% and the secondary is at 125% The mouse is more accurate in the top left corner and the farther from that corner the farther off it is... the second monitor is not reliably controlled...and to eliminate the guess work I ask the user to drag the windows I need over to the primary.

3 monitors.. for another example... If the primary and secondary are both at 125%... I can control them both. However, if they have a 3rd monitor at a different scaling... I cannot control the 3rd and need to call the person and have them drag the needed window to a monitor that I can accurately control.

Current ini file and/or other settings can be sent if needed/helpful.
Here is the poll section of my ini

[poll]
TurboMode=0
PollUnderCursor=0
PollForeground=1
PollFullScreen=1
OnlyPollConsole=0
OnlyPollOnEvent=0
MaxCpu=40
EnableDriver=1
EnableHook=1
EnableVirtual=0
autocapt=1

The reverse connection is ran from an extracted temp file that includes.
ultravnc.ini, VNCHooks.dll and the winvnc.exe
*The same settings for many years so that the small single click exe can be used on all Win OS's
I run the listening viewer at my end with -quickoption 3

Edit: Note: Searching the forum for words like mouse offset, mouse scaling, mouse dpi have multiple people describing the same or similar issues without showing a resolution.

Thoughts?

Happy New Year
CPC
wssddc

Post by wssddc »

I just tried this on a PC freshly updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 1909. It seems to fix the cursor tracking problem (which wasn't present in Windows 7). Thanks.
gambus

Post by gambus »

Have same issue with HP machine on windows 10, it seems it depends on which point i jump into the window. Also the mouse distance between the local mouse and the mouse in windows changes while i move
the mouse in windows. Tried different VNC providers, all same. :surprise:
CPC

Post by CPC »

Hi Gambus

Just double checking... Did you try this version of winvnc posted by Rudi on 1/9/2020? It solved this issue for me.

by Rudi De Vos » 01-09-2020 12:19
Please test
https://www.uvnc.eu/download/1230/winvnc_dpiTest.zip

CPC
gambus

Post by gambus »

I don`t use Server. I use UltraVNC Viewer. So this file is not relevant for me.
I did some research and the suggestion is to "change mouse settings to stay synchronised use -usbdevice tablet option". But in UltraVNC Viewer I cannot do it, or can I? I tried to change PS/2 on registry editor inside VPS windows 10, all stays the same, cant synchronise.
CPC

Post by CPC »

A typical usage of a vnc viewer is to view a vnc server.

The version of winvnc.exe that Rudi posted on 1/9/2020 is installed on the server. Doing so is meant to fix the issue of the mouse not being tracked correctly for the user of UltraVNC Viewer.. If the server can be accessed and updated, this might solve the problem with your use of the UltraViewer like it did for others.

Example: I don’t “use” server either, but I use UltraVNC Viewer to control many computers that had this mouse tracking issue. By upgrading those computers/winvnc servers to the 1/9/2020 winvnc.exe corrected the issue I had at my end using the UltraVNC viewer.

Others may have different suggestions to try.
gambus

Post by gambus »

Got your point CPC.
My issue was solved from VPN server supply team adding one more mouse as usbdevice to Windows 10 mouse settings, so this was not related to UltraVNC, but to Windows not recognising mouse as such and doing it's own thing.
Anyways, thanks for help! :thumbs:
CPC

Post by CPC »

Gambus..
Glad you have it resolved and thanks for adding what the solution was for your situation... Which may help others.
CPC