Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Ultravnc with Small Business Server 2003

cd52

Ultravnc with Small Business Server 2003

Post by cd52 »

We have long used Ultravnc for viewing users on our network by computer name. With our new SBS 2003 network, we can't. We now have dynamic ip addresses and the computer names are not working. From my reading, I think we may need the repeater, but I can't seem to get it to listen.

Port 5901 is used by others, so I set it to 5912, and using the PortQueryUi utility, that seems to connect ok.

Port 5500 is NOT LISTENING. I can't seem to figure out how to change that.

Even if I get past that point, it's not clear to me what to enter in the viewer screen to even try to connect. I don't understand what an ID is. I'd like to continue to use computer names if possible.
bevtech

Re: Ultravnc with Small Business Server 2003

Post by bevtech »

do you happen to be using a repeater???

If so my repeater just died with dep errors with windows updates. I moved it to a xp home box...

i ran a repeater on it for quite sometime with no issues just had to open the ports up.. until m$ changed something..
Last edited by bevtech on 2007-09-04 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
YY

Post by YY »

cd52 wrote:We have long used Ultravnc for viewing users on our network by computer name. With our new SBS 2003 network, we can't. We now have dynamic ip addresses and the computer names are not working.
I believe your DHCP is configured disable the client's "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" function, thus all the computers will no longer able to resolve the IP address with a computer name (NetBIOS name).

You may verify by running this DOS command from any one pc:
NBTSTAT -n

If the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is enabled, you will see a table of the computer's name and a status of Registered.

If this is your case, you may solve by:
1. Config the DHCP to enable the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" for clients, or
2. Manually config each PCs to enable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
cd52

Post by cd52 »

Thanks for the suggestion. WHen I do the NBTSTAT -n, I do, in fact, get a list with my computer and group as registered. In fact, they show up twice, with different numbers in the second column, which has no heading.

But I think my problem may be in setting up the repeater. I don't think I am doing it correctly and I cannot figure it out from the instructions.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

ok where do your problems start. Will the repeater install and run ??

With the default configuration
Last edited by bevtech on 2007-09-05 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
cd52

Post by cd52 »

yes. It installs without trouble.

But., as I mentioned in the original note, I hve specified port 5912 for Accept and used the portQueryUI tool to confirm that it is accepting.

But port 5500 is not listening ... I tried another port, but can't seem to get any "listening" from the portQueryUI tool.

If I understood Mode I better, maybe I could get by without specifying a listening port.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

I mostly always use mode II myself have had good success with it..:)

Do you have norton antivirus installed on the server??

some antivirus block access to port 5500 because a few internet worms used it to populate

I asked about the repeater because windows update killed my pchelpware repeater and i would imagine the ssl repeater for scIII might have issues as well but was not sure about the standard repeater.
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
cd52

Post by cd52 »

yes, we do have norton antivirus on the server.

Can I substitue another port?
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

sure can just not as easy to configure.

is pchelpware an option for you?? it might not be but i thought i would mention it

www.pchelpware.com That is what I use for pc support.

Are all these workstations in the same subnet??

if they are you dont even need a repeater

you should be able to satic the dynamic addresses at the server so that each computer gets the same ip everytime

That way you can just create a vnc connection for each computer and store it on a network share.

When you want to connect to that computer goto the share and click on the vnc file you want and presto you are connected to the computer.

NOTE::: Windows Defender can detect uvnc as a threat so you have to take caution to make sure you ignore it on all pcs..

being that you are dealing with smal business server that has to be less then 75 computers so you network can not be that large
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
cd52

Post by cd52 »

The computers are on the same subnet, same domain

I would love to be able to do this without the repeater, as we had before.

You wrote: you should be able to satic the dynamic addresses at the server .. how would I do that?

I haven't checked for Windows Defender. I will do that.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

your dhcp your are going to have to do some research on the internet. I always have my routers do that and i do not setup in 2003 server..:(

Should be a reservation or static tab in the dhcp server settings..

How many workstations are in your company??

Who put the server in maybe they can help you with these changes... :|
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)