Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Server stops responding - v1.0.6.5

muttley_br

Server stops responding - v1.0.6.5

Post by muttley_br »

Hello there!

I have a PC with Windows XP SP3 and UVNC Server 1.0.6.5 version installed. And since I've changed from 1.0.2.x to newest versions I've got a lot of troubles.

I can access this PC from another WAN, and work with it perfectly, but suddenly that PC "stops" responding. So I close the viewer, open again, type the password and then the viewer "freezes" in "Password accepted" message. Then quits by time out. So by this point I can't access that PC anymore, only if I restart it, or stop the UVNC server and start it again.

Does anyone see that problem before? What should I do? I've already tried to rollback to 1.0.2, but looks like it has troubles with high screen resolution.

Thanks in advance
Kirck

Re: Server stops responding - v1.0.6.5

Post by Kirck »

EDIT: my server version is 1.0.7.6.2

I've the same problem in two w2k3 too. I have only this problem with a period of inactivity.

When this succeed I need stop service and kill the executable, and restart the service.
Last edited by Kirck on 2009-09-22 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Tigertron

Post by Tigertron »

I have the same problem every time my screen saver kicks in then I can't log in. Java or the viewer. I use the screen saver for password protection on the server so I don't want to disable it.

Anyway to work around it?
ms007

Post by ms007 »

Me too. Some (not all) 2003 boxes stop responding to viewer's activity after some time of inactivity on the viewer. It is only a short time of inactivity and it has nothing to do with screensaver on the server. Even boxes without screensaver turned on show this freezing. And those boxes have different graphics: Intel onboards, Nvidias, ...
I'm not quite sure but I guess it started with server's 1.0.6.x.

Nevertheless, turning back one server to good old 1.0.2 does not show the results I wanted to have. OK, the freezing of the server during inactivity of the viewer does not occur any more :-) . But misspelling of the vnc-password leads to two vnc message boxes: first telling me that authentificatin failed, clicking ok brings me back to normal connection window. But then clicking connect does not open the authentification box but shows again a message box telling me that I failed to connect to the server. Clicking ok ends the viewer.

OK, I should try spelling the password right the first time ;-)
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

Same issue with XP SP3. (with v1.0.6.5 & 1.0.7.6.2)
WinVnc server doesn't repond anymore: even stopping the service is not possible. The only way to solve it is to restart the computer...
André.
Last edited by AndreL on 2009-10-06 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
muttley_br

Post by muttley_br »

Hello again

So, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! It's really anoying, and looks like a software issue. I hope developers see us and bring a solution!

Thanks a lot!
rak_42

Post by rak_42 »

I have 15 identical (well, started out identical) servers running 2008 SP2 standard (they were cloned from the same base machine, then individualized). 1 of them does this regularly, the rest don't seem to. I've been trying for a while to narrow down what's different without much luck.
redge

Post by redge »

are you sure you won't have issue with your power management settings ?

after standby, i can't reach server, that normal since i won't tell to my computer unlock standby mode of network interface card.
this option available straight on network card but this mean, your computer can go sleep mode but not anymore stanby mode but anyway, won't have problem with screen saver.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
jlmallard

Post by jlmallard »

Ultra-VNC 1.0.6.5 on XP SP3

I have observed a similar issue, but not the same on all XP clients.

I have one XP SP3 client now that definitely runs VNC server as a service, but using Process Explorer from Sysinternals, I can see that this service process is not listening to incoming 5900 connections. The moment I start a foreground process of VNC server, this new VNC server is listening on 5900 and works perfectly. If I use the GUI to amend server settings and save back to ultraVNC.ini and reboot the PC or restart the service, it does not amend the behaviour of the service. Only a foregound invocation of VNC server works!! This seems to be a relatively new phenomenon with UltraVNC.

I would be grateful if the developers would take a look at this problem as it is a problem with basic functionality, which is disappointing with such a good product. I think that I may have to fallback to 1.0.2 as it had no such fundamental problems.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Did you disabled some default services on the XP.
We can't repeat the problem on a XP sp3.

I'm thinking of the runas and Terminal Service....
Some wts functions are used to find the console desktop.
jlmallard

Post by jlmallard »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Rudi!

I can RDP into this PC so i guess that all the relevant services must be there for that.

I cannot see the Runas service, but i have checked another XP SP3 and an SP2 one, and cannot see the service there either!! I know the one you mean- i have see it myself on other Windows PCs. Could it be called something else these days??
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

Just checked, service doesn't require it.

WHen the service is running, you should have 2x winvnc.exe

1) service doesn't listen to any port, but start the other winvnc in the colsole desktop.
2) winvnc.exe listening.

Did you checked the show processes for all users ?
Last edited by Rudi De Vos on 2009-10-13 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
jlmallard

Post by jlmallard »

Hi, Rudi!

Now you are onto something!!

If I log onto the console as an Administrator or a normal User, I see the 2 WinVNC.exe as you say, and I can vncviewer localhost:0 successfully. However, since this is a remote client PC, I normally RDP to this PC. Even if I RDP as Administrator, there is only the 1 winvnc.exe running which is not listening and the VNC server icon does not appear in the bottom RH desktop tray.

But this cannot be correct that you need to login on the console to spawn a WinVNC.exe that does listen, because how would you be able to use VNC to login in the first place?!! This behaviour seems to be different to experienced in previous versions.

Thanks for your help, Rudi!
jlmallard

Post by jlmallard »

Sorry, Rudi- me again!!

Just checked on an XP PC that is working OK with uVNC 1.0.2 server. When I login over RDP into it, it only has 1 winvnc.exe running but this process is listening on TCP 5900.

So I guess that i don't understand the base concept in 1.0.6.5 where the service itself is not listening on TCP 5900.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

In <=XP ( without fast user switching) the service and default desktop run in session0
From <=XP (with fast user switching) the service run in session0 and desktop run in sessionX

Sessions are isolated, a service in session0 can't interact with a desktop in sessionX

To solve this issue in 1065 , winvnc.exe as service restart himself.
createprocess as system user in the session used by the console.

1x winvnc.exe service, this monitor the console session and restart winvnc
as application in the console session. ( no listener)
1x winvnc.exe runnning as appliocation started by the service. ( listener)
jlmallard

Post by jlmallard »

Hi, Rudi!
Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Very busy at work end of last week!

I am sorry but I do not undertsand your reply. I would be grateful if you would rephrase it. BTW, I am not using Fast User Switching, but login to a domain.